How to fit in more reading time

Hello everyone! So today's post is about a topic that’s important to a lot of busy readers: How to fit in more reading time?


There’s nothing more frustrating than wanting to read, but not having time do it. I have a crazy, busy schedule, and so many times I’ve been forced to face the stack of books collecting dust in my room and feel horrible because I’ll never have time to read any of it!

However, this year, using a couple strategies, I’ve managed to make the most of my free time and use it to get a lot of reading done. It’s only April, and I’ve already read 21 books (42% of my reading goal for this year!) It may not seem like a lot, but considering my schedule, my progress so far is amazing. It’s been my most successful year yet for reading!

So now, I’m going to share a few tips for how to fit more reading time into your schedule. These might not automatically give you tons more time, but I hope they will help you in some way. These have definitely helped me to increase my reading time overall and get more accomplished. Here we go!

1. Read before bed.




You’ve probably heard this one before, but I think it’s wonderful enough to just keep repeating. Not only does reading before bed benefit your sleep, but from a practical standpoint, it helps you fit in important reading time and get to sleep on time.
 

According to a 2009 study from the University of Sussex, reading reduces stress by 68%, making it a perfect activity for before bed.The study found reading to be more relaxing than listening to music, having a cup of tea or coffee, taking a walk, or playing video games. 

Reading is a perfect activity to add to your bedtime ritual because it helps you relax and clear your mind before you lie down and try to sleep. In fact, you only need to read for approximately six minutes to get your mind and body to relax! Though...if you’re as book-obsessed as I am, you’re gonna want to read for a lot longer than that.
 

Reading before bed is also a simple and easy thing to fit in to your schedule. I recommend trying to shower or get ready for bed a bit earlier than usual to allow for at least 15-30 minutes of reading time before bed. Reading before bed has really helped me to start going to bed at a better time, because it motivates me to get up, get off my phone, and get ready for bed early so I can read.

2. Read during meals



Easy instructions: Hold book with one hand. Eat with other hand. Done.
 

Um...Kitty? Seriously? Reading during meals? That’s gross. Who does that?
 

*Raises hand*
 

Yep, that’s the truth. I read during meals when I can. And no, it is not disgusting or gross. I have never gotten food on a book to date. Why wouldn’t you read during meals? It’s such a practical idea. If you’ve got a busy schedule, meals might be the only times during the day when you just sit down and have a break for a couple minutes. So why not spend that time with a book, instead of eating in silence and pondering existential questions? It’s easy and fun, and adds even more pleasure to the wonderful activity of eating.
 

And if you think I’m crazy, fine. You're just missing out on the fun. 

3. Read during your commute

This probably seems like a no-brainer, but if you have a long commute to work, school, or wherever, bring a book and pass the time by reading. (If you can. Obviously, don't drive while reading!)  

4. Bring a book wherever you go 



Do you ever end up getting stuck somewhere, and thinking, "Man. I'm bored. I really wish I had a book" ?  Put a stop to this problem by bringing a book with you everywhere. Obviously, you're not going to want to walk around carrying the hardback edition of the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy in your purse, but smaller books can work fine, as long as you've got a decent sized bag.(Edit: My LOTR obsessed friend actually DID walk around with the entire LOTR trilogy in her bag. So...I guess it can't be that bad, right?) So, if you ever end up stuck in a doctor's waiting room, at bus stop, a boring party, or your kid/sibling's soccer game, pull out your handy book, and start reading! 

 5. Re-think your free time.



It's also helpful to rethink your free time. How do you spend most of it? Could you replace some of those activities with more reading time? 

I'll admit it. I spend a lot of my free time scrolling through social media aimlessly instead of doing something constructive. I whine about not being able to read, but then I go and stare at Twitter for an hour when I could have been reading. 

This is definitely something I have to work on myself, but if you have the same type of problem, why not try to read instead of checking your phone, looking at social media, playing games on your phone, or other addictive phone-related habits? I'm a bit scared to track exactly how much time I spend on my phone, but I'm gonna guess that if I used that time to read instead, I'd get a lot more done. Smartphones and the internet can be a big source of stress, and what better way to is there to disconnect than to sit down with a good book? 





So that's all the tips I've got for now. I really hope some of these were useful! 

Happy Reading!

Kitty

Comments

  1. These are great! I am going to try them out- even while eating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts