Revew: Black Widow: Red Vengeance by Margaret Stohl

This was a fun read overall. I read the first book (Black Widow: Forever Red), and though I thought it was okay, I didn't like it that much; however, something compelled me to pick up the sequel. Being a Marvel MCU megafan, I just couldn't resist. I'll admit it alright?? I'll read anything that has the Marvel logo on it, especially if it has Black Widow.

In general, this book is not an amazing piece of literature, but it's great if you like Marvel, superheros, or just fast-paced action novels. Reading this wasn't too different from watching a Marvel movie or an episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. It's fun, but not too deep.

This book starts a while after the last one left off. Ava is on break from the Academy with Natasha, trying to shut down the remaining parts of the terror network of their defeated enemy, Ivan Somorodov. However, they're both still struggling to deal with the tragic events from their last mission. I guess I thought it was a little boring that they were basically fighting the same enemy as the last book. It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine when it happens in series, but the plot got more interesting near the end. There were some things that I felt could have been better explained, but I suppose the author is saving much of it for another book.

I think Black Widow is the most underrated Avenger, so I loved getting to read about her in the first book and this one. I felt that the author really got her personality right. The other Marvel characters included in the book were fun too, especially Coulson.

Ava has always been "just okay" to me. Yeah, she's cool, she's got powers, but not too much personality. The ending of Forever Red was terribly sad, and Ava had to deal with the aftermath of it in this book. I liked seeing her mature a bit, but I wished we had learned more about her powers in this installment. I also wish her PTSD and grief had been addressed more. (Especially the "hallucinations"--What was that really?)

The plot was a little boring at first, but once it really got started, I was hooked. There was action, superheros, nukes, evil Russians, and lots of explosions. The action is interspersed with witty bantering, which was humorous, but got a little unrealistic at times. How do you battle your enemies while firing off non-stop sarcastic comments? Guess it's just a superspy thing.

In the end, this is an entertaining read perfect for Marvel fans. I only wish Black Widow would get her own movie, not just a YA book series. She deserves more!
 

Comments

Popular Posts