Used Book Haul


Oh dear. It appears I have entered the wide and wonderful world of buying used books. Goodbye, bank account.

Haha, well luckily, thanks to used books, I can still order tons without spending tons of money! Yay!

That sounded a bit like an advertisement. I swear it's not! REALLY, this post is just my latest little book haul.

I'll admit it, I'm a total cheapskate when it comes to books. I don't like paying more than ten dollars for a single book. But right now the stingy book witch (new blog title??) inside of me is cackling madly, because all of the books in this haul cost under ten dollars. In fact, most of them were under five dollars.

This was my first time ordering from a site called Better World Books, so I'm going to include comments about the condition of the books and my general experience using the site.

Without further ado, let's get to the haul!

Books:

The Falconer by Elizabeth May



This book is an old favorite that I really wanted to own a copy of. I adore The Falconer Trilogy by Elizabeth May, so I bought the first and second books in this haul. The final book The Fallen Kingdom comes out next month, so I guess my poor cheap soul is just gonna have to dig out the cash to buy it new. I can't wait for the final book, and I really want to own the whole trilogy!

As for the physical condition of this book, it's in pretty good shape, with a few minor flaws. The dust jacket is a little wrinkled around the edges and there are some scratches on the back of the jacket. Luckily, the pages inside are clean, without any stains or musty smells. Overall, it's still quite attractive and it's in nice condition for a used book.

 The Vanishing Throne by Elizabeth May


This is the sequel to The Falconer, another old favorite to add to my collection. 

This book is ex-library, so it came in one of those annoying plastic library coverings. However, after I removed the plastic covering and the library stickers, it looked excellent. The dust jacket is in great condition and the pages are clean.There are some library stamps and stickers inside the book that I can't remove, but since they're not really visible, I don't mind.


The Cure for Dreaming by Cat Winters



I couldn't resist buying this book, after recently reading another of Cat Winter's novels, which I loved. A huge part of the temptation to buy this was the fact that Cat Winter's books are just so physically beautiful. The cover has all sorts of different textures on it, and I love that there are cool historical photographs and quotes inside.

This book is also a former library book, but once I removed the plastic and stickers, it looked stunning. I'm so pleased with the condition of this book that I keep picking it up and looking at it because it's so pretty!

Julia Vanishes by Catherine Egan


This book is a recent high fantasy favorite. I read it last summer, and really enjoyed it. Its sequel is coming out next month, so I guess I'm gonna have to do some digging in my wallet and get it, because I am just in love with this fun, creative series. 

Since it's not extremely popular, it was easy to find at a low price. It arrived in great condition and I can't help but admire how clean and pretty the pages are.

Dreamfever by Kit Alloway  



You know that thing that happens when you read a great book, forget about it, and then never bother to read the sequel? That's exactly what happened to me with this series. 

Dreamfever is the sequel to Dreamfire, a book I read years ago. I was waiting for my library to get the sequel, but they never purchased it. So now, years later, I've finally gotten ahold of it. Dreamfire was an amazing book, so I can't wait to see what happens next! This book also arrived in excellent, new-looking condition. Aside from a few stickers that I had to remove, there are no flaws. 

Eon by Alison Goodman


This was recommended to me by several friends, so I couldn't help but pick it up during my buying spree. Since it's several years old, it was easy to find at a cheap price. 

It looks a little more worn than the other books because it's a paperback, but it's still reasonably attractive. The spine is bent inwards a bit, but the cover is glossy and clean and it doesn't have any yucky musty smells. Besides a couple stickers, there was nothing I had to do to fix it up. 

These Vicious Masks by Kelly Zekas and Tarun Shanker 



 Library, why did you fail me and not purchase this book when I wanted to read it?? Why??

Well...I guess owning it myself is nicer anyway. This book sounds like a lot of fun, so I can't wait to read it. I am obsessed with historical fantasy-type books. If a book has fancy dresses and balls + historical details + Jane Austen-like humor + magic/monsters/etc, I will jump to read it. 

This copy is in lovely condition.

Comments about my experience: 

 I would say overall I'm very satisfied about my experience using Better World Books. The prices are amazing, and the site has free shipping for all orders. I would definitely recommend using Better World Books if you're looking to buy books for just a couple dollars, with no shipping costs. (In other words, if you're a cheapskate like me!)

 Anyway, that's all for my little haul!

Stay bookish everybody,

Kitty




Comments

Popular Posts